Monday, October 22, 2007

Reminiscing....

I was just reminiscing about Halloween when I was a child and all the different characters that I dressed up as......I remember dressing up as Little Red Riding Hood, a Clown, I think I was Strawberry Shortcake and wore that plastic face mask with the rubber band behind the head and then the plastic outfit that matches...it was either Strawberry Shortcake or Raggedy Ann (can't remember)....maybe Jolyn, Paula or Mom could help me out with that one......
I was a bride...I was so excited to wear my mother's homecoming dress that went down to the floor (but was knee ht. for her)and had a veil and flowers, I was a cheerleader and wore Paula's outfit, I was a California Raisin, I was sick one Halloween and stayed home and watched Little House on the Prairie instead........
then in High school, my friends Jeanne, Erica and myself dressed up in masks and old people clothes and we went to a neighbor of Jeanne's and her boyfriend's parents place (at that time) we had sheets of paper that we gave them one said,"can we come in, can I have a drink of water, who are we?"...and we didn't say a word and spooked them out completely.....finally we took the masks off and they had a good giggle out of it.....thinking about that....we wouldn't be able to do that in today's world, someone would have called the police....
In Elementary school we had a grand parade and would walk around the hallways and show our costumes to the other classes and teachers and the highschoolers (our school contained K-12). I also remember going trick or treating around Plainfield and then meeting up at Grandma Mehmen's. She would have food for us to eat. All of us kids would count our candy and barter/trade our candy. I always liked to give out candy at Grandma Mehmen's and see all the other costumes and guess who they might be..usually all I had to do was look at the parents and know who the kids were.....that's small town life for ya....
Yep, the good ol' days.....Halloween as a child.....oooh and the black and orange wrapped taffy like candy were my favorite...they were peanut butter flavor and sometimes a bit of peanut butter chunk would be stuck in the middle of the taffy and would melt in my mouth....yum!
Yep, those were the good ol' days........Halloween as a child.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...