Tuesday, February 5, 2008

It ain't over until the fat lady sings!

Okay, the evaluations are out of the way for my students who failed. They are going to appeal it, so will be taking it to the Director of Nursing Education and then possibly to the Dean. I have support from my mentor instructor, from both program chairs and the Director of Nursing Education.
I believe I have documented thoroughly which will help back me up. One of the program chairs told me that this appeal is going to make me feel crappy for awhile..........SO, even when I was glad of the clinicals being finished.....it still is going to hang over my head for awhile.
So, I'm going to put on my nursing instructor armor to shield off all the horrible things that the students (failing ones) said about me and not take it personally. I'm trying to recognize that this is a defense mechanism they are using. Blaming me for their failings because I wasn't a good instructor, I didn't ask any of them questions, I was unapproachable, I graded unfairly, not to mention that I am the one to blame for my students failed marriage and the other student's anorexia.............yeah, some low blows huh?
never in my mind would I ever argue with my instructors in the past........I think I would take their evaluation and advice and try to better myself.........in fact, being that this is my second time as a clinical instructor, I'm still a novice and I acknowledge that. I've asked my mentors for books to read to help me improve my evaluation skills and my questioning skills. So, I'm trying to better myself as well.
So, I pray that this torture won't be too long.........hey, if Jesus can suffer through all that he experienced, I can surely get through this which is sooo minute compared to his sacrifice.....

1 comment:

The Kennedys said...

Yeah, don't sweat it Jana. Last week, I had to let someone go from work because she was not showing up to work much and taking no responsibility for her job. She blamed everyone but herself for this and said she felt very "underappreciated". Well, we WERE paying her and it is hard to appreciate her work when she is not doing it! I think your failed students will find they are not upset with you, but rather with themselves once they are honest with themselves about the situation (which may be a while).

John K.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...