Monday, June 3, 2013

Keep Assessing . . .


“When You Feel Yourself Judging, Keep Assessing”

            The above is my favorite quote from a former colleague.  At the time, it was imperative to use during my period as a nursing instructor.  I used it frequently, to stir the minds of the students.  I also accepted this challenge personally and attempted to live it at work and at life.

            The concept of this quote was just reiterated in a nursing journal I read not too long ago.  So, I have been cognizant of this idea.  Recently, I was able to apply it into practice:  picture if you can a young-aged man with a history of a life-style of drinking and drugging, bearing a plethora of tattoos over his body, throwing F-bombs at his girlfriend at the top of his lungs.  At the time, I thought he was yelling at one of our staff and when the door slammed, I hastily walked down the hall with a new form of bravery—also knowing the resident was right behind me helped with this unexplained courage.  I swung the door open in hopes to save my co-worker and instead saving the girlfriend from being a target of this guy’s anger.

            The doctor coaxed and educated, I stood at the doorway to be a witness.  I received a stat order of Morphine for his pain and asked a male nurse on the floor to come with me—thinking that his presence would buffer the man’s anger, when really the morphine was the real buffer at that moment in time.  Girlfriend asks me about something to drink and this was my time to invite her to come with me, so I could see how she was doing and to make sure she was feeling “safe.”

            A break to the galley was when the “keep assessing” came to action.  Girlfriend states that he’s never hit her, but he’s yelled at her a lot especially in times of stress.  She talked about how there was so much more underneath the surface of this guy’s life: losing multiple people in his life to the consequences of IV drugging, discovering that his mother and son are dealing with a similar acute on chronic illness, being freshly told that he has a condition that may be due to his history of IV drugging or that he may be joining his son and mother in the same acute on chronic illness.  That’s huge!  “He is scared as Hell.”  I stated matter-of-factly to Girlfriend.  (Sometimes a nurse has to be real.)

            Girlfriend and I also discussed how in addition to being scared and stressed that he is trying to find some control of a situation that he doesn’t have any control over.  Insert: yelling tattooed guy—really tattoos don’t bother me or make me think any less of a person, it was more a picture I wanted to paint—targeting his anger toward his girlfriend, threatening that if he doesn’t get anything to eat soon, he’s going to rip out the IV and walk the “hell right out of here.”

            My first thought of the guy, “Crap, he sounds really dangerous.”  My concerns for this gentleman quickly transformed from the judging to wondering to questioning and assessing.  Everyone cries for help in a different manner, his at the time was in the manner of a persistent four letter word at the level of 100 decibels!  This cry for help welcomed me into the scene to better understand the situation.  Not only did I personally learn something, but I was able to validate the patient and his girlfriend. 

In the end, we all need some validation.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...