Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Happy Lent

Hello all,
This is my first official Ash Wednesday and start of Lenten season. I have not participated in the fasting and almsgiving during Lenten season, so this will be my first. As a family we decided we were attached to the TV, so on Wed. and Fri. we are taking the TV out of our life for 40 days. Personally, I am taking watching TV every night before I go to bed out of my life. I have decided that has become a habit for me and I'm definitely attached to that. So, instead I'm going to pray the rosary and read a book before falling asleep. This is so much better for my mind and soul anyway. As for Paul, he has declared to take fried foods out of his life for 40 days, with the exception of fried fish on Fridays. This may lower his cholesterol and he will benefit from this....I know it just shows you that skinny people can have sky high cholesterol too!

Almsgiving, Paul and I are having much debate over this....he thinks it is okay to give a homeless person a cigarette, because they don't have the means for one. I say that our bodies are God's temples and we should treat them as temples and provide them with health and love. A cigarette wouldn't be a healthy almsgiving.....I say donate our clothes, provide to the food pantry, etc. We were going to take our debate to the deacon yesterday but our class was cancelled. Tell me your thoughts on this one........
In any ways, say no to things you are attached to and say yes to God!
Blessings to you all.

2 comments:

The Kennedys said...

Hey Jana, welcome to the CC (Catholic Club). You should know that you are supposed to leave the ashes on your forehead until this Sunday - or else you will be considered to be in a state of serious sin! Haha, just kidding. Interesting convo you two had about almsgiving - I can't say that I have ever pondered the idea of giving a cigarette to a homeless person. I am of the belief that all acts of giving/donating are good as long as done with pure intentions - I do agree with you though that some types of gifts are better (more beneficial) than others.

John K.

cindy jo said...

Hey Jana,
I can see what Pauls trying to say but my idea of almsgiving....if ya really want to give that homeless person something, make a sandwich to give them or buy them a hot cocoa or also donating clothes to a shelter or possibly even work in a soup kitchen.....@ least Paul has the idea of giving!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...