I held vigil by the telephone awaiting to see if I would be called off or into work. 2:20-don't need to come in, call and check in...5:20-stay home and Merry Christmas. After the first call, I decided to make a ham and a potato casserole for Connor and myself. Paul sauntered out for a taste of chicken noodle soup (our traditional post-illness soup from Dahl's) and he returned to bed with a reminder of his illness.
At one point in the evening, I let the dogs out and noticed the peacefulness the night offered. Sparkling snow flakes quietly, gently falling. A surreal sense of calm. I asked Connor if he wanted to walk in a winter wonderland and he just rolled his 7-year old eyes at me. So I made an excuse to go outside by taking the trash and recycling out. I sucked in the cool, crisp air and said a little prayer. What a magical night and a great celebration of our Lord, indeed! I stuck my head in the threshold and asked Connor to fetch the camera and then I took these pics.
After dinner, Grandma and Grandpa Roberts came over to play games, but the game-playing was interrupted by Connor falling victim to the illness. We still worked our way through the traditional bed time stories read only on the night before Christmas. It was another sleepless night in the Roberts' household, interrupted with bouts of barfing.
The next morning, there was still excitement and joy but expressed in a volume 10 decibels lower than usual. I sat and looked around at my family, white as the snow, and decided this is Christmas 2010. I didn't take any pictures because I wanted to spare my poor family and plus, the flash would not reflect well off their poor, pallid faces.
I fasted and napped and watch the kids spring back to life by the end of the day, even their cheeks gradually pinked up. I ,on the other hand, felt the doom of being the next victim.
It's been four days and no signs, but I can't say if I'm confident that I dodged the barfing bullet. Hopefully, I was spared due to my recent jacked back...but like all things it's out of my control, so I'll just let it roll.
So my friends and family, this is my 2010 Christmas reality; I was still able to find some beauty out of our unlucky experience.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
1 comment:
Looking forward to seeing you this weekend...please all get better soon and praying you don't get it! Jackie has been talking about playing with Olivia for weeks!
Post a Comment