Eight years ago today, I witnessed my big, blue baby slip into this world (his cord was wrapped around his neck twice). He laid upon my chest for about ten seconds and in those ten seconds, time stood still and I looked into this little being's eyes and knew that he was going to be okay. That he was, that he was. . . a little blow-by oxygen and he pinked up and then by three days old, he became that beautiful newborn jaundice. I fell in love with this little baby and his tiny little features.
I remember it was awkward calling him by name and today it rolls off my tongue without much thought or effort. I soaked up all his firsts and milestones. . .he still goes through milestones but just not at warp speed. His first word, "ball." His first tooth. Now, it's his first double and soon to be his first set of partial braces!
Oh, where does the time go? It seems like yesterday that I would tuck his tiny arms into a onesie and place him in the stroller and walk around the apartment complex, talking to him and showing him the world. Now, he's totally aware of his world and the distant places he's never seen.
Connor loves life! I've been so fortunate to watch life through his perspective and I'm so blessed to get a different view. Connor loves people! He's caring, thoughtful, and sensitive. Connor loves humor! He's always been a funny baby and now he gets real jokes, comments, sarcasm, and puns! If you ever meet Connor, you'll be lucky to know him and benefit from his presence in your life; he's left beautiful footprints on my heart and those footprints embed deeper and deeper.
At times, I think I'm talking to another adult because he gets life, but then I realize he's still a boy with much life to travel when he reaches for my hand to hold at Target, snuggles with me in bed, or when he spontaneously grabs me for a hug. We'll have a heavy conversation about life and then his next comment is about Lego Harry Potter video game. . .so I get little blips of the man he'll become, and today I'll enjoy the little boy that I have. . .
2 comments:
Jana...what a beautiful birthday tribute to our sweet boy...I couldn't agree more w/everything you said.
grandma r.
awe...you are making me cry on connor's birthday. he is such a special little man. my heart is smiling as i read this and agree wholeheartedly.
Post a Comment