Saturday, August 13, 2011

Weeds: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Olivia sees the beauty from weeds; especially the ones that flower into Dandelions or other cute little yellow buds. I, on the other hand, see the bad and the ugly. The only time I see the good is when I actually get rid of weeds.

That would be this morning, forty minutes later and my flower beds were weed free! July was a hot month and I didn't touch the dreaded things! I did chemically weed. . .I know, I know, not the healthiest AND now I've increased my risk of cancer, but I was desperate.

While I was pulling, digging, and grabbing, I was thinking of different adjectives that describe weeds: ornery, stubborn, vicious, itchy, annoying, overbearing, distracting, hideous, and tenacious. I then thought of how very similar weeds are like vices in our lives; bad habits like chocolate, negative thoughts, food, you fill in the blank here [ ]. We all have a vice that weakens us, robs our growth, overcrowds our being, and becomes heavy and thick in our lives.

It was cathartic pulling those weeds. I started labeling them with my vices and burdens, then I grabbed and tore them out root and all. Like a flower bed, we have to care for ourselves and our beings: cultivating, planting our seeds, watering, nourishing, fertilizing, soaking up the sun, dead-heading, and weeding.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...