Thursday, January 19, 2012

Status Quo

Status Quo is our life right now; nothing broken to fix and nothing too exciting, and so we embrace this time.
Our days are filled with routine: getting ready for school, getting ready for pre-school, getting ready for work, doing housework, being with each other at the end of the day and repeat.
Mix in a few practices and ballgames here, dance class there, a dash of wolf scouts, and a pinch of religious education and that is the recipe of our life right now.

We have been playing more games lately . . . got some new ones for Christmas and so we join around the table or floor and play.  It seems that TICTACTOE is a popular mobile game:  Olivia loves to make her own rendition of the game because x's and o'x get so boring!


We've been enjoying watching Olivia read and write.  It's amazing how they progress from letter recognition, to letter sounds, to basic phonetics, using pictures and hints, and POOF!  They are reading and writing. . . She likes to write about what she loves: pups, cats, BFFs, "Py Ple" (people), Mom, Dad, Connor, & "ivryfg" (everything).  She produces artwork like a factory; each a fresh new piece.

 Connor has really been intrigued by wars lately.  I was hesitant and thought I should be concerned about this at first but I think hope it is innocent.  He's always been into something and he loves the facts.  It started out with dinosaurs, moved on to insects and snakes, then Star Wars to total Harry Potter fascination, and now it's wars.  I have learned so much about WWII through Connor.  (actually, I have learned so much about whatever he's into). 

His last library visit, he checked out WWI books.  I told him that maybe he should study and research about the different wars, see why they started, how they ended, examine what life was like . . . now it's his quest.  He's a good historian, gets this from both sides of the family it sounds like . . .

Hoping the corner of my basement will become a graveyard for artillery some day when he moves on to other curiosities and fascinations. . . Meanwhile, my analysis of Connor's war fascination will waver, wonder, and wager the positives and negatives (because that's what Moms do, we make sure it's the best for our kiddos).

 January is a month for birthdays:  Grandpa Mehmen, lots of friends, Grandma Roberts hit a milestone age of 60 and uncle Brent is hitting his milestone age of 40, today!  So we wish everyone a Happy Birthday and many blessings this year!
Winter is finally among us!  Makes us want to hunker down and get long winter's sleep.  Hopefully, the urge to purge will be among me because I have a list of closets to tackle and clean, along with some other winter projects.  Of which one is almost finished!  I'm a bit embarrassed to say but I finally am working on Olivia's first year digital baby book!

Now, excuse me as we get back to our status quo!
Stay warm and healthy, everyone!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...