Thursday, June 11, 2009

Rookie!


Well, here they are....aren't they beauties? I know, these just look like shoes to you.....but these shoes represent a new me. They represent a new challenge in my life. A new freedom and a CHANGE.
I'm taking up running......wait! come back don't faint on me.
I know, it's out of my character. I've always hated running. But I've become inspired. A patient of mine who was 78 years old and has run 6 marathons......has changed my perspective. He didn't start running until his 50's. If he can do it, surely I could start in my 30's. I then have talked to some other runners that I know and I'm even more excited about it. It's amazing to see "the look" on their face and the goose-bumps I get just talking about it. I want "that look" on my face too.
I've been athletic all my life, ever since I can remember I've been playing some kind of sport. BUT... the last 10 years, I've not been up to par. Work and kids have taken up some of my time. Not to mention, I was at one time getting paid to exercise....what an incentive that was! (Wish I could get paid for that again)
Why running? I find it fascinating, not to mention, I here there is instant results....that's what this 30+ year old body needs is a swift kick in it's metabolism. Also, I hear you can eat what you normally eat.....not that I'm a greasy burger and fries girl....but it's nice to have that cookie and ice-cream once in awhile and not worry about depriving.
From a cardiovascular look at it, I need this activity to keep my heart healthy for the rest of my life, I want to live to enjoy my kids and their kids. Endorphins alone is a great benefit, who doesn't enjoy a natural high from their own body???? Stress relief.....running is something I can do all by myself....after interacting with people, children day in and out.....it's nice to go solo.
So, today I'm fitting for my shoes and I come in vulnerable. (I went to a professional sport shop and fell in love with the atmosphere.) The lady before me is picking her shoe and doesn't try it on.....I, on the other hand admitted, I'm a rookie. The sales person said that my foot would widen with running, especially if I was doing a marathon.....I giggled and told him I'd like to do a mile right now.....marathon would be my long term goal. The kids had a blast at this store, each shoe I tried on I got to go way back and run up and down the hallway, they ran with me....they didn't want to leave!
That's the kind of inspiration I want for my children is to show them how fun exercising and staying active is so that it will become natural for them........maybe someday my husband will join me.............????????
Tomorrow, is my second run......learned that I need to go to the high-school track and try out the new track instead of side walk. Can you say SHIN SPLINTS????? Now that they have subsided, I'm ready to run again. My bugs are ready to plop into my ears and I'm ready to do my run/walk.........wish me luck, and if you see someone wheezing and hunched over and jiggling on the high school track......don't be scared, don't call the rescue squad, please don't laugh.......it's just me trying out a new challenge...

3 comments:

ShelliGib said...

Good for you! I run almost every day...I'll never do a marathon but I do 5 and 10K's. It's a nice time to reflect and have a little quiet time to yourself! Have fun!

The Kennedys said...

Like the shoes! Those shin splints will thank you for them ;)

Rob, Paula, Jeremey & Jaydin said...

Good for You! Jeremey has been running to train for cross country this fall. I have secretly thought it would be fun to run with him. Well I am no longer in my 30's, but I am not 50 yet, so there might be hope for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...