Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Procedure Planned for Friday

Just an update on the stone situation.

No, I haven't passed it.....Dr. said it is too big to pass.

I went to visit him this morning and (yes, he is cute.)

He showed me the films of the kidney stone and I was impressed with that. He said there is no possibility to pass the stone so I will be having a Lithotripsy on Friday.



Lithotripsy is a fancy and fun word that basically means a machine will break up the stone in my kidney by sonic waves....side effects will be a bruised back, bruised kidney and hematuria (blood in urine). The stone should break up in tiny particles so I can pass them....if the Dr. thinks they are still to big after being broken up, he will place a stent in that would hook up from kidney to bladder...the stent is bigger than the ureter and will help pass the stones........he said the Lithotripsy has a 85-90% chance of success.



So, I called my supervisor at work and they are awesome and very supportive with this. I told them I could work but won't know when these spells come on and sometimes they come on so strong that I have to take narcotics and may even throw-up.

(These spells are called renal colic.....)

Kinda sad if your nurse is caring for you and looks like she's in rougher shape than you are???? But since our census is still low and my supervisor and manager are empathetic with this, I'll be on a personal leave until next week.
Pictures for you visual people are located on this site:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/19246.htm

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...