Tuesday, September 8, 2009

BOASTING AND BRAGGING BOYS.......

HELP!
I haven't pulled out my old big and heavy pediatric book to see if my 6 year old child is appropriate in the boasting and bragging, not to mention TALL tales he's been telling.

For example, he told his neighbor girl's friend that he's the smartest of all first graders. He knows everything and it's in his head. He stretches the stories and the truth.

Oh, mothers out there who have had 6 year old boys....do they do this? is it appropriate? Where is the book, what to expect out of your grade-schoolers....? It would probably be too thick to even produce wouldn't it? I know it's a bit nerdy of me and nurse-like..but I do like to pull the ol' Ped's book out and do different social/cognitive assessments on my kids to see if they are up to par.

So, I'll do my homework and praying and if you have any advice, I'd sure like some..........I've told him it's not appropriate to not tell the truth and to be careful of bragging about how smart he is, because maybe his friends won't like to hear that. BUT am I missing anything? Anything to say to really drive the point home?????

1 comment:

Rob, Paula, Jeremey & Jaydin said...

Pride and confidence are normal at this age. It is important to feel good about your successes. I would say focus on being a humble leader. Express that it is okay to be smart, but that it is important to not make others feel bad about themselves by bragging ourselves up. Maybe make him give a put up to someone else for every time he brags about himself. Make him aware of examples of when others brag and how that makes him feel. Or play games with him and act really bold and brag about yourself when playing and let him know how it feels. Sometimes they just aren't aware of how it makes others feel. Lot's of reminders...eventually they become more aware of other's reactions. That's just my 2 cents... good luck.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...