Saturday, November 15, 2008

Moments like these.......

It's moments like the one that I had tonight that is rewarding as a nurse. This moment that I had tonight takes away all the stressors that nursing may bring, or all the ungrateful patients that I care for....it just swipes everything away and makes it the reason why nursing is the career I choose.

A sweet lady patient of mine, tonight was surrounded with family. They took a little break and her sweet husband (of probably 50+ years) said that he was heading home and he felt like she was in good hands.....aaahh, that was sweet of him to say.

I went into check on her during my hourly rounds to see if she was having any pain....so far nothing.....but she was restless.......I did my IV clearing and then situated her nasal cannula back on her nose and then held her hand.......I told her that she seemed restless........she nodded.....I asked if I could do anything for her and she answered in her post-status stroke, garbled speech, "pray for me." I asked her if I could do the universal "Our Father" and she nodded.....through it all she nodded and embraced every word that came out of my mouth and then I added that may the Lord embrace her in his arms and provide her peace and comfort.

She nodded. It's not very frequent that I get this intimate spiritual help for my patients....a simple prayer is all she needed and I was ready to give her anything she needed.......you know we take care of body and mind quite a bit and in that order....only rarely do we care for spirit and I was so honored to help my sweet patient.

Oh, how I do pray that the Lord will be with her all the way during her journey. And oh, how I'm so grateful that the Lord pointed me towards the career of Nursing. I've always had a big heart and now I can practice my compassion as much as I want.......

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...