Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers today.
Miss-O was a champ today....pre-op: she kept busy with toys and playing only once did she voice that she wanted to go home. The operation took 1 hr. 10 min., rather longer than we expected...there was more that the surgeon needed to do than he thought. Post-op; we waited in the room and once I heard her crying and coming down the hall I wanted to run out and grab her....instantly she was in my arms and she recovered well. A little sleepy, thirsty, and very cuddly. She recovered for almost two hours before she was discharged home.
She ate some soup and did well at home and even played well....but we knew when the medication wore off because she told us....ow, ow, ow!
She hasn't had any effects of the medicine and I've been doing my hourly nursing checks on her..and she's doing very well.
This was pure exhaustion on parents.....Paul might not have shown it, but we were tired and hungry when we came home. I felt as if I held my breath the whole time since I awoke and when she was in my arms, I had great relief and was a bit chatty.....a little adrenaline rush!
Since post-op, my motherly instincts have kicked in and have had every worry that one could have; (or at least a nurse-mom would have) like what if she doesn't go potty and we need to take her in for a straight cath? What if she bleeds? What if she has a reaction to the pain med? What if she gets dehydrated? what if she gets an infection? How much pain is she going to have? Okay, so my worries could go on and on and I won't bore you.....
She was such a champ and didn't cry and I really believe her guardian angels were hovering around her today. The staff was great, Surgeon was great....not a bad experience in the hospital today....and we know the inside of a hospital and all was done appropriately.
We especially love the "child-life specialist!" She was great, introduced O's gas mask to her (which are scented!) and O had a chance to play with it....the specialist was wonderful and the separation was better than I ever expected. She got a ride on the wagon while the specialist blew bubbles at her and we went the opposite way.....the specialist came back and told us she never cried........
No comments:
Post a Comment