Sunday, April 13, 2008

It's not easy being Green!

April is the month of Earth Day, so we are reminded this month and GO Green!

You know, I remember as a teenager reading my "Seventeen" magazine and how good it is to recycle and be earth friendly. Amazing that it takes another almost ten years until we see corporate world doing this and promoting this. It makes me wonder if it is because our generation is now in the Corporate world and an active part of society.?.......

Last year I read an article in a magazine and watched Oprah and I felt so overwhelmed, I thought I want to do it all to help save the earth and make a better life for my children and grandchildren to come.......instead of changing all of my unearthly habits, I've been working on them one by one. So here are a few things we are doing to be Green:

  1. We are recycling paper, plastic, aluminum cans....(our city has a wonderful recycling program)
  2. We are changing our light bulbs over to the energy-saving ones that are to last longer and cut down on the energy bill...I forget what they are called....ironic thing about this is when it comes to disposing them, it takes special matters because of a certain chemical they contain......hmmmm
  3. I've been using "Method" a brand of natural cleaners for the kitchen/bathroom floors and the wooden floors.....they smell really good, last longer because they are concentrated, a bit more expensive but I believe I'm saving money in the long run. I get them at Target. They also have surface cleaners, hand soap etc.
  4. We try to unplug the microwave and tv at night when they are not in use....this sometimes gets overlooked. I was religiously doing this last year at this time but need to get back into the habit of it.
  5. We try to eat more family foods and prepare at home then there isn't the fast-food Styrofoam and unrecycable containers to throw away......I think it's important to sit down and eat as a family, what a better way to see how every one's life is going and what part of the day was good or bad.

So, this year I want to do some more changes........here is what I'd like to do

  1. buy some of those canvas bags that they've been selling at the grocery store for a buck, instead of using the plastic bags........we do reuse the plastic bags for garbage liners and diapers, but we always have soooo many of them.
  2. Connor, Olivia, and I are either going to walk Connor to school or ride bike when it is nice out...it is only a few blocks away.
  3. Be more conscientious of the items that I buy and make sure the containers and packaging are simple and can be easily recycled.
  4. Continue to teach Connor and Olivia about recycling and loving our earth.

There is so much that we can do, but I've discovered that I can't do it all and try to be super-woman and save the world. It takes many of us to do small things to help change our world into a safe and earth-friendly place.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...